Wednesday 23 January 2008

Contrast


This week has been one of completely opposing values and the foundation of this has been formed from our two current units. Already I am feeling despondent due to differences in the amount of creativity needed to be employed in A5 and A6. Unfortunately, Builder [A5] is the less favoured unit because of this and although my motivation to succeed is high, my enjoyment level somewhat differs. However, my progression in A5 is according to plan and I found the form building input straight forward and more simplistic than anticipated. Although I’m sure I will be eating my words when it comes to testing the form. In terms of the basic layout of the template it just needs a few tweeks and all my images need to be optimised. I am feeling more comfortable and confident using Dreamweaver and hopefully as I get more involved I start to enjoy it more. Oh just one thing; can you put a border around a single cell and if so how?

Revert to Type [A6] has been the redeeming feature of the week. I find the lectures interesting and collecting inspirational examples of type is really expanding my thinking for the presentation. I’m fortunate that my given typographer Morris Fuller Benton created a diverse range of typefaces, so it’s given me plenty of scope for experimentation. Today I created a mood board of some of his most interesting typefaces to help inspire the design of my slides [see image above].











Tuesday also encompassed the first of our timed assignments and created yet another diverse experience. Overall I really enjoyed the task I feel I created a good range of ideas and the quality of my final outcome was satisfactory considering the time limitations [see image above]. However, there was just one problem, I missed the deadline. The annoying thing was it wasn’t because of my time management but because InDesign kept shifting my design off of the page every-time I tried to print with crop marks. So, the deadline passed and even though I had all of my work complete I failed. In hindsight I should of just handed in the normal printout with my other sheets instead of persevering with the print setting menu, but what’s done is done. Strangely I wasn’t angry or frustrated about this because I felt satisfied I’d responded well to the task regardless of the mark or lack of mark I would receive.


The seminar group this week was also an eye-opener and bought to light the level of detail and commitment required to pass Sketch Blog [A1]. I’m looking forward to the new seminar groups as I feel the group dynamic will greatly assist my personal development. So I plan to use and abuse the talents of all in my new group, so be warned!

Targets for this week

  • Polish template design for feedback next week
  • Prepare rough draft of presentation
  • Undertake self-generated inspirational work
  • Prepare questions for feedback of presentation in seminar group
  • Consider a piece of work to present at Design Mechanics
Finally apologies for the late entry.

6 comments:

Tom Smith said...

Michelle, I like the 'mood board' you've created. I might have to stick that in my sketchbook seeing as I've got the same typographer. Nothing like blatant stealing, eh?

I think your problem with printing shows how familiar we need to be with the software in order to succeed with these timed tasks. Even down to the printing options!

Andrew said...

I really like the concept you went for with the FontBook task, it looks well thought out and well constructed for the most part, I'm not sure if the font's you chose were right but I guess that comes with getting more familiar with the tools and software at your disposal.

I've always seen that you have good original, inventive ideas and when the technical side comes along abit more, we'll see some amazing work.

I too had a small problem with printing, I must of sent it to print atleast 4 times before it finally did print; and I had forgot how to change the magnifaction size of my page for printing, guess I need a few more hours getting used to InDesign.

Chris Towell said...

In response to the border around a single table cell you can but it involves a little bit of CSS.

Just before the head tag ends <⁄head> you add this:

<style type="text/css">
.border {
border: 1px solid #000000;
}
<⁄style>

Then when you get to the cell you want to border put <td class="border">Your stuff here<⁄td>

Breaking down the 1px is the thickness of the border, this I think is the thinnest you can go.

SolidIs the style of the border so a solid line is a straight line no breaks, there are others dashed dotted etc.

#000000 is the colour of the line in this instance black.

That should work. When you start to do CSS properly you may be doing them in separate CSS documents and attaching them. If this is the case forget the <style> tags. I hope that was useful.

Anonymous said...

@ Chris. Expect they've been told not to include CSS in the document. Which, as you well know, is not good practice.

Liam Corfield said...

Hi michelle.

The mood board you have done is quite inspirational.

its good to know that you didnt feel any negitive feelings to not handing the work in on time, it shows you dont want to give up and want to stride forward and do these tasks to the best of your ability.

Chris Towell said...

@Steve - I know its not good practice but it's the first website isn't so I didn't think they'd be using external style sheets. But I did say if they are to remove the <style> tags.