Tuesday 19 February 2008

Flow

Fortunately for me this week has turned out to be somewhat of a revelation as to what I was expecting. Monday morning, as usual, did not bring about the joy of a new day but more a dread of what was to come. The half term was not as productive as I had liked and I felt the control I had initially gained over A5 and A6 was now slipping away. A5 in particular was weighing on my mind as although I’d managed to get most of the site together, I didn’t understand a word of the errors coming up in validation checks and I hadn’t even tried setting up the feedback form. What made things worse was everyone else seemed to be flying along with the greatest of ease!So after reluctantly uploading as much of the website I had completed on Sunday I prepared for the worst…

After horrific driving conditions I finally arrived at college but the testing was already underway. This didn’t help in improving my mood and now gloomy vision of what was to come. However, during a quick talk with Steve most of the group took the trouble to review my site and provide some valuable feedback, thanks to those involved! I started to feel better about the situation and knew the only way to overcome the mountain of work before me was to just get on with it and that’s exactly what I did.

I have to say I think most of the problem was psychological because I felt I simply didn’t have the knowledge to overcome the problems I was facing. The challenge seemed far too high and working from home over the past two weeks had made me feel very isolated.

Csikszentmihalyi [a famous psychologist] shows exactly what was happening to me in the diagram below. At the beginning of the week I was definitely in the blue area, the challenges I was facing seemed far too high for the level of skill I had and this resulted in extreme anxiety. Yet as the day progressed and I gained knowledge and more skill from the support of those around me and I entered the flow channel! So, by the end of the day after a lot of hard work I felt fulfilled, re-focussed but completely exhausted!

Today usually would have been the day I was looking forward to but once again the dread crept in as I knew it was mock presentation day and more timed tasks were to come. Fortunately though I felt more confident in my abilities and knew with a bit of hard work I’d be back in the Flow! The timed task of the day presented sufficient challenge and after a focussed session of designing and acting on feedback the solution was finished [see below]. I was fairly happy with the design and I had been a lot more proactive in responding to feedback which was a definite improvement. In terms of the presentations a run-through over lunch proved to be very valuable and everything went significantly better than I’d anticipated. The rest of the afternoon has been spent collecting inspirational material as a personal treat for working so hard [sad I know]!

So all in all things are pretty damn good and all the hard work had paid off, Sam Ewing says it all;

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."

All I can say is I’m glad I turned up this week.

3 comments:

Tom Smith said...

Good illustration of where you feel you're at. Csikszentmihalyi's diagram is as interesting as his name!

I really like the concept you've employed in your Vodafone ad. The idea of using the logo as inverted commas really draws attention to the design. This is what's needed for an advert!

Andrew said...

I really liked your design, it had a certain complexity to it; but at the same time oozed simplicity. This is definitely a credit to your good eye for layouts. Though I think the two text columns being different sizes kinda makes me feel rather lobsided. Equality and symmetry in the design would've greatly improved it. Though achieving this result with the content given was quite hard, as I found out also.

From what I've seen of the others yours is a real stand out piece, and glows with originality.

Gary Benn said...

Looking at your website during the testing, it really looks as though it is coming on! So well done!

I really like you Vodafone advert. Although there is more than one column the line and the logos really make it fit together as one, sort of streamlined.

Just a quick note about your presentation; I really can’t believe that you only practiced it in the car at lunch time. It was near perfect, Apart from reading from the sheet, but I presume you will have memorized it by then? One thing you must remember is the fact we are talking about fontographers, not photographers!

I think you voice works so well for presentation and I like the way you have developed a kind of multi tone voice for presentations. It is not flat and boring! You still have your teacher’s voice!

Well done! And good luck on the real thing - not that you need it.

I think we need to go off into the little room or somewhere at some point next week (all our group) so we can practice! I think it will really help us all, let me know what you think!