Sunday 9 September 2007

Personal Statement


Throughout my life I have always had a passion for Design, initially; it took the form of a continual subconscious analysis of the imagery around me. As I gained inspiration and understanding it culminated in the production of my own imagery. I enjoy the challenge that Design presents in being able to communicate a concept entirely through a visual source. I feel it stretches my ability in a variety of areas, particularly my understanding Psychology within the Design process. I have been fortunate to be able to indulge this passion throughout my academic and professional career through the diverse range of techniques and medias I have been exposed to.
My degree at Norwich school of Art and Design allowed me to fully realise the incredible potential and influential presence that Design encompasses in our society. This realisation enabled me to refine my own visual awareness and cultural literacy. I feel this contributed to a new found sensitivity within my work as both a Photographer and a Designer as I graduated the course.
Alongside my new found personal understanding of Design I was also fortunate to develop my commercial experience during the degree. I was selected to undertake a series of ‘live projects’ for outside clients, these include; BBC Radio Norfolk and Pricewaterhouse Coopers . These experiences have allowed me to greatly develop my interpersonal skills and adopt a high level of professionalism in all aspects of my work.
After completing my degree I felt a strong desire to install in others the passion I held for Design. I completed my PGCE at Homerton College Cambridge and have now been a Secondary school teacher of Art and Design for over a year, teaching pupils aged 11-18 years. This experience has been invaluable to me in terms of the huge personal development I have undergone. It has installed in me an ability to communicate effectively on a range of levels, a strict sense of personal discipline in order to respond well to pressure and a renewed drive in all tasks I undertake. However, I strongly feel my own creative development has been neglected and my real potential is not currently being explored through my teaching. I have therefore taken the decision to return to education and expand on my knowledge and skills in a new area of Design.
I feel the Interactive Media course will present me with a fresh and exciting new challenge. I look forward to combining my natural creativity with the technical skills of Interactive Designing. I feel the course will enable me to communicate through Design on a whole new level to what I have previously experienced. I am now focused completely on refining all of my Design skills in this new vocation and excelling in Interactive Media.

No comments: