Tuesday 30 October 2007

Love the Things You Hate

Although we supposedly gained an hour over the weekend I’m certain this was merely a ploy by the government, to create a distraction, enabling them to steal an entire week. Either this or I have foolishly misplaced 168 hours somewhere. In which case I’m sure it will turn up in a ‘safe place’ somewhere, along with a couple of odd socks and a few marbles.

As you can probably tell any amount of freedom can be severely detrimental to the state of my mind. So despite regaining my thoughts over this ‘supposed’ week, on several occasions, to peruse Design magazines and inspirational art work Monday came as a relief! So the ‘surprise’ brief of giving a presentation on next week gave structure, momentarily, to my thoughts.

I have to say, surprisingly, I’m actually looking forward to the prospect of delivering the presentation next week. In the past, like many others, I have greatly disliked and tried to avoid presentations whenever possible. But, as time has gone on and I’ve gained more experience in presenting I’ve grown to like them. This may also coincide with my ‘love the things you hate’ policy I developed a while ago, which I will now explain.; A long time ago I figured if I trained or evolved myself to like the things I hated life would be a lot easier and more enjoyable. Really ‘dislike’ was really only a matter of my own personal preference (within reason) and served little function other than to make things worse than they seemed. As we all know everything has its pro’s and cons and so by focussing only on the pro’s the world seems quite nice, sometimes.

Therefore, by looking at the presentation in the same way you can see in fact it is a joyous and up-lifting experience (or at least its not as bad as it seems)!! So here’s a list of the pro’s of presenting;
  • You’re in control (you have the power)!
  • You can make a difference to someone’s hour/day/life by what you say (whether it’s the knowledge you give them or just a smile)
  • You in turn have gained knowledge in researching the presentation (which you’re likely to retain because you have to know it so thoroughly)
  • You gain self confidence
  • You increase you’re employment prospects in the design industry
  • You have the opportunity to show off your personality
  • You feel a real sense of achievement at the end

So by ignoring, or at least excepting the negative side to a presentation you can look forward to it, I hope!

In terms of progress leading up to this momentous day things are going quite well. I’ve found lots of research on the internet and I’ve found it pretty interesting. My main task at the moment is cross referencing what I’ve found with paper based sources. This is proving to be a bit of a problem as the local library isn’t that fantastic, but hopefully I’ll overcome this somehow.

Other than that my sketchbook is slowly developing and I’ve purchased some lovely colouring pencils which I’m very excited about. I’ve also got some design books on order which I’m sure will make for good bedtime reading. So tasks for this week are;

  • Annotate up to date in sketchbook
  • Finish presentation before the weekend and practice
  • Ensure I have sufficient paper based references

10 comments:

Tom Smith said...

Michelle, I think that's a really good outlook on the negative things in life. Really inspiring. Can I stick that in my sketchbook?!

I think your list of the positive things in presentations is useful, and has helped me focus my mind slightly.

I haven't managed to find any paper-based sources either. Hopefully I'll find some later in the week, but I'm not massively confident I will.

Liam Corfield said...

Hey michelle, here are a few of those links i was researching on body language:


http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/body_language.htm

http://www.positivityblog.com/index.php/2006/10/27/18-ways-to-improve-your-body-language/

James Bell said...

I think your positive attitude to this task is brilliant and the way you have looked the pros of the presentation is something I have never come across before.

Normally when to comes to presentation everyone I know has looked at it like it is something that they have to and to just something they want to get over and done with.

I especially like the last pro you mentioned about feeling that you have achieve something and I think this will help me focus on trying to really give it my all.

Anonymous said...

Date stamp and time zone test.

Webomatic said...

Hi All

Nice positive outlook, I think those sites are good my self Liam, as Steve said it is all about body language, I suppose that’s the worst thing about presentations, that people can tell how your feeling just by the way you talk and act during them. I think the best thing to do is take deep breaths always makes me feel better, but also I have found out that wile doing presentations taking the odd sip off water helps, as every one is kind of nervous doing presentations it makes the mouth dry.

Gary Benn said...

Hi,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your support in your recent comment on my journal.

I would also like to congratulate you on finding away to reflect on only the positive aspects of a task. Or life in general. I have a difficulty doing this. Whenever the negatives out weigh the positives it certainly puts me in a negative state of mind.

I am going to try and use this advice to get me through my presentation.

As you said you have had to do many presentations over the last few years and it gets easier. It seems hard to believe now but I am hoping it will.

Shaun Bellis said...

FANTASTIC

This entry is very inspirational and I hope that everyone has read this.

It brings calm to the proverbial storm which is brewing in us all regarding this presentation.

Thank you. You have a very distinct method of writing.

--
Shaun Bellis
My Journal

Julian Dyer said...

I often find that you actually become really good at the things you fear most – usually because you spend so much time ensuring that things are done correctly.

It is good to see that you have put a positive spin onto things – the presentation skills are a ‘necessity evil’, but when it comes to presenting your portfolio at that crucial job interview, it will pay off.

An employer would want to see a confident, articulate person doing a well planned and progressive presentation of their work – and this all starts with the colour presentation.

P.S: Found a funny Norfolk related quote today: “Keep Britain tidy. Chop off Norfolk and Cornwall.” – Milton Jones

Michelle Bonfield said...

Julian, I think you need to improve your research skills, the definition of a 'joke' is as follows;


joke

• noun 1 a statement made or short story told in order to cause amusement. 2 a trick played for fun. 3 informal a ridiculously inadequate or inappropriate thing.

• verb make jokes.

— DERIVATIVES jokey (also joky) adjective.

— ORIGIN perhaps from Latin jocus ‘jest, wordplay’.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise
_oed/joke?view=uk

I assume you were aiming at the later [3].

Julian Dyer said...

Shesh, tough crowd.

I never said it was a joke actually, just a humorous quote I came across on my travels.

Could be worse, as John Cooper Clarke said about one town: "I'm far too sophisticated an artist to play in Burnley... Or anywhere else where they still point at airplanes"

I hear the mustard shop in Norwich is very good. Says Harry Hill.