Wednesday 7 November 2007

Extreme Design

This week it seems I decided, unknowingly, not to continue to with the usual study but embark upon a stomach churning adventure. Which, in hindsight, I have no hesitation in recommending for classification as an extreme sport. The journey began as reading week came crashing to an end. All that I hope to comfortably achieve was now traumatising my mind as I desperately tried to float off to firework land but with no avail. The pressure I felt over the weekend was tremendous and I began to resent the commitments I had made which were, ever increasingly, eating away at any remnant of freedom I once enjoyed. So the familiar blackness of Sunday evening enveloped my mind and exhaustion prevailed once more.

I awoke Monday, unsurprisingly, in a state of despondency. Still questioning my decisions and contemplating a move to the HNC. The only positive was the fact I had got out of bed and I still was determined to go to college, even though I felt grossly unprepared for the presentations, which I had once been looking forward to. So I arrived at college after practising my talk to a number of unappreciative and unresponsive roads, vehicles and trees. My mind felt a little more settled more in the fact I had accepted my fate and a gentle slide into insanity.

The atmosphere at college was sombre, there was to be no gentle re-introduction, we’d hit the ground but were we running? My only comfort was in the fact I believed in myself and my ability to ‘fly by the seat of my pants’, as I’d done fair too regularly in my teaching career. So with wings desperately flapping I bumbled through my presentation to Steve. Steve who I knew I’d let down by not keeping up the correct level of communications in emails and blogs. I didn’t feel good, I didn’t feel in control and overall a huge wave of disappointment washed over me. Only I could take responsibility for the emotions I was experiencing and the slight burst of relief at completion of the talk was not enough.

My anxiety stayed with me for the rest of the day. I was impatient to know my grades for the first 2 units, as I was certain this would seal my fate. However, my spirits were greatly lifted by talking with the other members of the group. It helped me to re-focus and appreciate what life is really about; enjoyment. So I decided to just go with the flow and make the most of what was left of the day. I guess this was wishful thinking and as we re-grouped after lunch the atmosphere once again became suffocating.

My emotions were still in a state of turmoil, I questioned my every decision; about travelling, my financial commitments, how neglectful I’ve been of people closet to me, all in order to succeed on the course. What had it all been for? I had re-signed myself to a referral, a referral which would create a work load I felt I simply couldn’t cope with………then suddenly, I heard the word ‘pass’.

Confusion…….relief……..guilt……..compassion……..emptiness.

Now a few days on things are settling down and introduction of the new units helped to wash away the emotional perspiration which had clung so defiantly to my skin. Once again the realisation of why I’m putting myself through it all is with me again; the passion I have for Design or Art! So I’m back inspired, stimulated and enjoying being amongst others who share my passion.

I just want to congratulate everyone on their achievements so far regardless of their results, we have all worked so hard. Equally I was in admiration of how professionally everyone dealt with the difficult situation we were faced with. Each and every one of you have my respect.

6 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I'm glad you've got your enthusiasm for the course back! When you mentioned to me on Monday about possibly going to the HNC, I felt as though you moving would be a loss to the group.

Hopefully this enthusiasm will stay with you and you can continue to develop ways in which you can compromise between all your commitments!

Suzanne Hullah said...

Completely agree with Tom, you moving to HNC would definately be a loss to the group. Although saying that I understand your concerns.

Hopefully the pass that you gaine for the assignment will show you just what you can achieve and give you the confirmation on how you want to continue.

Andrew said...

You couldn't move to the HNC course, you'd miss us all too much; we make you complete!
Definately try keep that enthusiasm up, I've recently discovered mine again; I can see that there is a good way forward for us in design and we'll enjoy the next bit of the course alot, I already am, even after just 2 days of it.

Webomatic said...

Hi

I would like to say do what is best for you, though if you left to do the HNC you would be greatly missed , I no you have allot of stress in your life and moving so far for college must be stress in its self. I think though after this week now your positive you might feel better in the course, I no we all talked allot down stairs before the presentation I think this made the group whole as we shared are feelings.

On the plus side, this week went incredibly well the presentation made me feel more confident and others as well, im glad to here your feeling better and more enthusiastic. I also no what you mean about choosing between art and design is hard, as I have commented before art is needed for design and the other way round. I think this is why we are researching it it is very interesting just like the colours one.

Thanks, Martyn

Mark Torrington said...

You are a valuable asset to the group and your dedication to the course is commendable. I was bewildered that you commute between Norfolk and Wakefield twice a week. In my experience as a HNC student, you would be starved of inspiration from other students that share your passion.

Anonymous said...

Comment deadline.