Friday 21 December 2007

A Time for Reflection

As I commenced the Interactive media course in September I was excited to be presented with a fresh new challenge . I will admit that I was apprehensive of what was to come but more than anything I was hopeful that the course would be a channel for my creativity, which had been seriously neglected during my teaching career. Now, reflecting back, I know all of my hopes have been more than adequately met and I feel greatly fulfilled and proud of my achievements so far.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the projects we have completed so far. With each one presenting a fresh challenge and requiring a varied approach in order to achieve success. Overall I feel the course has enabled me to communicate on a whole new level to which I had previously experienced. It has taught me to be more considered and refined during the design process because of the requirement to meet the needs of the target audience. This has installed a realistic element to the web plans we have authored and increased my awareness of the attention to detail which will be required in industry. Equally the time scales we have been working to has added intensity to the projects and hugely increased my time management skills. In summary the first semester has been intense, the work load was far greater than I could of ever anticipated but I am certain the development I have made is immeasurable.

Next semester my main objective is to become proficient in Adobe Dream weaver. This will present an entirely new challenge to me as I have absolutely no experience of using the software. Therefore, it will be essential that I use a sufficient amount of self study time to undertake tutorials. Hopefully this will enable me to build my original website designs without having to compromise on details because of my limited technical knowledge. Of course I am aware that this is an idealised view, and frustrations are inevitable in the transfer of concept to creation. However, I am determined to achieve my full potential as a ‘creator’ and I believe my focus and passion will be the key to success.

In terms of my premonitions for the second year of the course my main focus will be to compile a strong body of work for my portfolio. I intend my portfolio to reflect my combined talents as photographer, artist and designer. I feel this will enable me to offer a more versatile skill-set to future employers. To do so I must continue to explore and expand my creative skills. I aim to combine a range of media and techniques in the developmental stages of future projects, this will add an element of originality into my work. I feel that this will be essential when seeking employment in the highly competitive market of Interactive media.

In terms of my future career I feel it is too early to define the exact path I wish to pursue. Particularly as I have no experience of the technicalities of building a web site. However, I am certain that I wish to utilise a range of creative skills in any position I apply for. Of course, I am aware that this may not be possible in the primary appointments I undertake. Nevertheless in the distant future I perceive that my photography and conceptual skills will play an important role.

7 comments:

Razzmatazz said...

Nice to see you feeling fulfilled so far in your career. I will suggest you to register a domain name for yourself which you may develop as your website now or later.

John Browne said...

Firstly I would like to thank you for your inspiring and admiring comment on my journal entry for the 1st semester ending.

In terms of your career path, I do beleive you will be a very valuable assett to any company willing to employ you with your multi-skilled education and own abilities.

Embracing challenges can some times be a daunting task when a new found development is taken on. But rest assured, Dreamweaver is'nt actually that difficult to use.

Tom Smith said...

Michelle, if you can get a good grasp of the web-building process, then you will be a ridiculous asset to any design company, with all your skills considered. Photography, artistic skills, design skills, web skills.

You best get a job in Norwich and leave us our jobs in Wakefield!! :P

Suzanne Hullah said...

With your previous experience in other areas of design/media, you'll be able to adapt yourself a lot more to jobs after the two years on the course. Although, this could also cause you some problems when choosing a job - which field do you concentrate on more when searching?

Anonymous said...

Approximately two and a half hours until comments are closed for Semester 1.

Andrew said...

Yeah, I agree with the comment you said about having to record every piece of advancement being possibly detrimental to the quality of our work. But it's something we'll have to get used to on this course, of course in the industry it isn't like this, thats where the billing timesheets come in.

The skills you already possess has been an obvious advantage for you when designing, the work I saw you do on logo's and the page layout; I have to say I was really impressed by the desicions made and with some of the design ideas. Your background is evident in all these.

I also wish I had the photography skills you do, as it's such a big part of website design, and design as a whole.. paying for photographs is such a hassle, especially when you can't always get what you want exactly!

Anonymous said...

Semester 1 Journal Comments Closed.