Tuesday 1 April 2008

7th Heaven


Sad as it may seem I am in A7 heaven and the last two days have been an absolute pleasure. Thinking…..sketching….thinking some more is just bliss for me, so to indulge in this for the next few weeks is a truly wonderful thing. Even better than this I get to wander around taking crazy photographs and then have some fun playing around with them. Now if I truly could get paid for doing something like this the course will have really been worth every penny! So, all in all I’m an ecstatic bunny, bouncing off the walls.....well up until now when I must calm myself to write this blog.

Developments over this week have included a visit by Jonny Haynes from www.technophobia.com. He gave us a very honest and insightful look into the design industry. Similarly to ‘The Design Mechanics’ visit he presented us with the reality awaiting us when we finish the course and once again boosted my motivation to succeed.

Also rudely disrupting my thinketch sessions have been a series of ‘logo’ lectures. Despite my obvious frustrations they have actually been rather interesting and informative (luckily for Steve!). So when you think logo, think SPWC [shape, presence, weight, contrast] not a very catchy slogan but useful none the same. Our understanding of these lectures was nicely tested by our old friend the timed task which, initially, was greeted with a distinct lack of enthusiasm by myself but actually turned out to be rather enjoyable. The task was to re-design the logo for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament in an hour. It was a really nice introduction to ‘part’ of my new ‘Alpha’ seminar group and I was pleased with our final solution. Our solution (see start of entry) centered around the original ‘semaphore inspiration used for the logo. It quite simply repositioned the two symbols of 'N' and 'D' and gave them a more fluid appearance. The new positioning also reflected the shape of a bird (a dove, symbolic of peace) and was presented across a circle which was representative of unity and the earth.


Apart from that A7 progress has been good I have currently designed around 40 initial logo ideas and I will be posting the strongest ones for feedback shortly. I have also started to create some images for the artwork and this will also be displayed in a separate post for feedback.


Targets for A7

  • Effective time management and documentation
  • A disciplined approach to all tasks
  • Constant reflection in light of feedback every week

3 comments:

Victoria Fisher said...

On Tuesday when your group did the presentation for the logo redesign I was impressed with the ideas your group had used for the new logo. Your group presentation for the logo was very good, with good explanation of how and why you had created the new design.
I hope to use some techniques which your group used for present, so I could present in a more clear way like your group did.

John Browne said...

An exstatic bunny? hmmm, will have to keep an eye on that one.

With your artistic flare and ability to produce good wuality sketches, it is easy to see why your finding this assignment a complete god send.

Having your photographic, hand drawn, and ability to think on your feet, is a quality I can only be jelous of. Sure I can think a great deal on my feet and all, but there is a time when it gets the best of me and I experience a block in what is presented.

Michelle Bonfield said...

Believe me JB I get those blocks too and when you do the best thing is to just get on with something completely different.

We're not machines and I guess thats just our brains why of reminding us. If being creative was so easy then it wouldn't be so sort after would it.Plus I remember you're cheeky little rocket design at the start of the course! You know you can deliver when it matters!!