Tuesday 8 April 2008

Learning Spiral



Dare I say it but I’m still really enjoying myself! Pushing forward my logo ideas in A7 is proving to be really interesting and luckily I’m not stuck for ideas…yet. Hopefully I’m now coming close to being able to select my most successful designs for refinement and then selection of the strongest.

It’s certainly true what Steve said about our method of learning. It definitely isn’t linear and I have to keep making a conscious effort to analyse my designs against everything I’ve learnt since beginning the course. This is particularly tricky to remember when you're introduced to a fancy bit of software that allows you make a myriad of marvellous creations at the touch of a button! These effects may not impress Steve but they did rather impress me, it’s just shame they don’t equate to any level of skill that’s all. Of course I am referring to our introduction to the drawing applications of Freehand /Illustrator. Overall I’m finding the transformation of my sketchy designs into crisp vectors rather satisfying, yet often tinged with the occasional outburst of frustration. But as with everything else I’m sure practice will make perfect. Once again though I feel I’m improving my chances of employment as my skill base widens and refines.

On the subject of employment another former student, Mark Feather, paid us a visit on Monday. It was really good to see how someone with a similar, creative, background to myself had successfully evolved their talents for a commercial output. Once again a real boost for motivation and focus, with a particular emphasis on self initiated learning to prepare myself fully for the requirements of industry. Equally, it made me appreciate the creative freedom I currently have in exploring my ideas while I’m at college, something that simply won’t be possible in industry.

Therefore, over the next week I intend to fully exploit this freedom and have some fun experimenting with some new techniques which may have possibilities for application in my CD artwork. Mark’s work and experiences have really inspired me to create some new ‘artistic’ work for my own portfolio. This is mainly in the interests of self indulgence but it might also help me get a job? Who knows!

Targets

  1. Select final logo design and refine
  2. Generate a concept for the Corporate Identity using the logo
  3. Continue to develop Illustrator design skills
  4. Experiment with some new drawing techniques

2 comments:

Mark said...

Hi Michelle,

I really hope I didn't convince you that your creativity would go to waste in industry, that was not my intention, more that you may have to sacrifice your likes for dislikes with your work. Unless of course you are lucky enough to work for a creative company, my workplace being rather more commercial and money driven.

You seem to know what you want and that is good, all I would say is don't give up the arty side - it really is a help and not everyone has it!

Mark

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.