Tuesday 15 April 2008

Nogo

As the title suggests the productive flow of creativity and development I had almost became accustomed to came to an abrupt holt this week. As my logo became a nogo the inevitable frustration crept in and what seemed to be a strong concept fell apart at the seems. Okay, possibly this is a slight exaggeration but to act on the constructive criticism I was receiving about my logo meant to alter the fundamental concept of the design. Equally the originality of the logo was severely lacking as the idea of emitting waves had been utilised in most of the groups designs. However, I did attempt to incorporate the suggestions into a refined version but the original spirit of the design was lost, as was I.

So, as the new week commenced I already felt behind schedule as I was lacking a rather important element. However, I knew it was important not to waste time so I decided to crack on with the CD cover artwork. After spending the morning creating some ink sketches, to overlay with my photography, I regained my focus and felt more positive about the task in hand. Once again it was important to step back and regain perspective. Even though the design of the logo was an important element of the current project, it was not the crux of my universe, so I had to look at its creation objectively and simply fulfil the project criteria. After looking back over my initial ideas and a discussion with Steve I decided to move forward with one of my former ideas.

The new logo idea had evolved from looking at emissions at their basic level, around the concept of molecular reactions. The logo is designed to replicate a molecular structure, it is suggestive that the brand will create a reaction, that is experimental and it consists of only fundamental elements. The placement of it’s elements is based on the formation of dots for the Braille representation of the letter ‘E’. It also has the addition of a lowercase ‘e’ within one of the circles to emulate the copyright symbol. I have chosen to develop this design as I feel it has an original concept, good presence and will be easily recognisable.


To be continued..

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrew said...

I think with the concept your undertaking I'd be worried about over complicating the logo, remember the PARC rules. Especially if you think about how the silhoette if this logo would look, adding too many elements might throw it off and not make it easily recognisable on a glance. Remember people shouldn't have to think to hard about a logo, it should just be there.

Take this basic idea you have at the moment and really try develop it so you have some of form in mind, instead of a few different elements adding up to create the logo. This simplicity will help your brand recognition.

Gary Benn said...

I have to say, I completely disagree with Andrew. I think you have got the wrong end of the stick.

I think your revised logo idea is much better. It is simple but has an added meaning about it. It will also give the audience a sense of achievement when they realize what it actually means. That is not to say, however, they need to know what it means.

As with most things you always do something much better on the second occasion you do something. This will probably be because you are taking your previous experiences into account also avoiding your previous mistakes.

I don't think you're alone in feeling behind. It must be a result is spending so long creating a logo. In actual fact it is the biggest task of the assignment. There is nothing better for feeling behind than spending one big session just really going for it. You will then get to a point where you think you are back on track.

In actual fact you will probably be ahead.

Michelle Bonfield said...

I have to also disagree with you Andrew. The logo does follow the PARC rules and has a unique shape which will make it recognisable at a glance.

I think logo with a hidden meaning is more memorable because of the random association between the image and the product. It makes people remember because it is out of the ordinary and sticks in their mind. Just like the Guerrilla Dairy Milk ad.

Plus my basic idea was the original form but culminated and developed to incorporate other ideas I had previously had. Surely thats the whole point of developing an idea?

Shaun Bellis said...

Hi Everyone,

I also dissagree with Andrew. I think that the hidden easter egg that is the braile gives your design something that is unique within the class.

The designs you have done work very well and from what I have seen reproduce clearly at even the smallest sizes.

The logo lends itself to future development as well as I feel that it would look fantastic as a 'next generation' logo; slightly animated perhaps.

Keep up the great work and keep that positive and enthusiastic mentality that we all know from you.

--
Shaun Bellis

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.