Tuesday 29 April 2008

Fine Tuning

Strangely, I’m in a very different position and mood from what I anticipated to be in on this Tuesday afternoon. As despite falling behind last week I feel I’m almost back on track! This is due to sacrificing a beautiful day of sunshine on Saturday to get on with my CD artwork, now if that’s not dedication I don’t know what is. Having the creative freedom in this part of the project has really lifted my motivation and drive, which had started to lag with all the corporate identity elements. So finally everything is coming together and the focus is now on making sure everything is finished to a professional standard. A demand which I now realise was somewhat lacking from my previous courses, especially in terms of technical considerations for commercial printing.

As you can see I’ve already found myself starting to reflect on the year and the progression I’ve made. A class discussion about the second year of the course, and my personal development session with Steve all helped to solidify this thinking. I certainly feel I’ve learnt a great deal over the course of this year, particularly surrounding design principles. This is something which has been most refreshing to me, as things which I have been doing intuitively for years have now been explained and fine tuned. This fine tuning will hopefully allow me to reach my full potential in the design units next year. In terms of the structure of the second year I have to say I really can’t wait to begin. I feel it presents a superbly balanced programme, both in terms of creative and technical challenge. However, before I become too involved in thoughts of next year I better focus on finishing this one though!

So, for the remainder of this week I need to concentrate on finishing my Digipak to a professional level. I’ve decided to develop design #1 [see previous entry] although please still feel free to continue to add to the feedback. Ive been looking at the design of the cd inner and cd body today[see above]. Also I need to check all of my work against my corporate style guide, to ensure all the corresponding elements are consistent. I’m hoping to have all the work completed next week, which will be the first time ever I’m in this position! I’m sure something will go horrible wrong in the meantime but I’m hopeful!

Targets

  1. Refine cd outer
  2. Develop cd inner and cd body
  3. Check all work for consistency against style guide
  4. Complete Pre-flight document
  5. Design poster for 'The Wire' magazine

6 comments:

Tom Smith said...

I'm quite liking the concept for the hook for the CD body. However, I think you need to be a bit more precise with the hook, it's looking a bit jagged at the moment. I'm sure you know this already though.

I'm glad you feel you're going to be in a position in which you've got everything finished early. Feels good, doesn't it?

Michelle Bonfield said...

Thanks Tom, I was waiting for feedback before doing a polished version of which ever design. I'm swaying towards the hook too so that helps a lot.

Mark Torrington said...

Michelle, out the CD designs you have created the second one would work
across any disk from the series. Your whole project is really coming
together. The Photoshop work you have produced is at a professional standard and you seem to have a natural eye for composition. Every week I enjoy seeing your latest artwork. You are an inspiration for all of us.

Shaun Bellis said...

Well said Mark!

You really have come into your own with this project.

Catching up is always quite difficult, I should know! The 'one on one' sessions with Steve that you spoke about really do help. I have had perhaps more than my fair share and come out each time with a much more positive mindset.

I think that this unit really has made up my mind with regards print / web... and its got to be the web for me!

John Browne said...

Hey Michelle, good work, and I'm realy liking your chosen CD art work. Out of the 3 CD body designs, I do actualy feel as though non of them fall in to perspective with the Digipack outer (sorry). But on the other hand I am realy liking the middle design with its simplistic layout. But is it appropriate to encorporate the logo so big???

Gary Benn said...

I really like your CD outer designs. I think they show really well what you have explained in the concept of them.

I like the way you have gone for a more creative way of displaying the track names.

For the CD body. I really like the second one. I really like the way you have designed around the center of the disk for the logo. However i dont think it is right for this project as the most prominent thing is the logo and in my opinion the focus should be around the album details.

If I were to re-pick it would be the 3rd design.